National Apple Museum
 barn
Biglerville, PA 17307
Home
Site Index
History
About Us
Museum Photo Tour
Adams County
Around Adams
    County

Fruit Crate Labels
Contact Us
Friends
Land Conservancy
   of Adams County

Fruit Growers
Fruit Grower
   Farm Markets

Apple Book
Horticulture
Research Station
Blossom Festival
Harvest Festival
Other Festivals
Other Fruit -
   Related Museums

Gateway Gettysburg
Lodging & Dining
All About Apples


 Pride of Adams County

Adams County
Historical Society


East Berlin Historical Preservation Society

Franklin County
Historical Society


Hanover Area
Historical Society


Hunterstown Historical Society

Littlestown Area
Historical Society


Ye Olde Sulphur Spa Historical Society

PA Museums and
Historical Societies


Early History
of the
Apple Industry
in Adams County




Adams County Historical Images - 2

Some historic homes in the area.Previous Page   Next Page

Menallen Friends Meetinghouse
Menallen Friends Meetinghouse, Route 34, south of Benderville.
This is the location where members of the Religious Society of Friends have met since the 1830's. This building was built in the 1880's. The first meeting house was built in the 1780's and was located on the Centre Mills Road. The Menallen Friends will celebrate the 225th anniversary in 2005. Photo courtesy of Deb McCauslin.





Mapleton, Route 34, south of Bendersville. In 1871, it was the Mapleton Seminary. Charles and Maria (Griest) Tyson were the owners.  Old Mapleton Seminary as Red Brick  Mapleton Today Painted White
It was also used as a branch business office for Susquehanna Fertilizer Company which was also owned by Tyson and headquartered in Baltimore. The building is painted white, though it is actually red brick.

The first photo is courtesy of Deb McCauslin and the second photo is courtesy of The Margaret B. Walmer Memorial Archives.



Hill House
Hill House, Route 34, south of Bendersville. This beautiful Victorian era home sits directly across from the Menallen Meetinghouse. Chester and Bertha Tyson lived in this house in the early 1900's and raised a large family. Descendents of the Tyson's live in this house today. Photo courtesy of Deb McCauslin.



Loma Vista



Loma Vista from the Guernsey Bridge, village of Guernsey. Loma Vista means "View of the Hills." This was once the home of Charles and Maria Tyson. Photo courtesy of The Margaret B. Walmer Memorial Archives.





Gravestone from Yellow Hill Cemetary



This is a grave stone from the Yellow Hill Cemetery located off the Yellow Hill Road, one mile northwest of Biglerville. This was a black cemetery and a church once existed in the 1800's. A community of freed blacks lived in this area near the Menallen Friends. This area is called Pine Hill but has become known as Yellow Hill and probably named such for the mulatto families that once inhabited the area. Mulattos were often called "yellow" or "high yellow." Photo courtesy of Myrna Morton. This stone is no longer to be found.





Remains of Yellow Hill Cemetary All that remains today of the Yellow Hill Cemetery, on Yellow Hill Road, one mile northwest of Biglerville. All other stones have been removed, destroyed or buried under the ground. These flags were placed by the Biglerville American Legion to commemorate the burial of two veterans from the US Colored Troops who were once buried there. This was a black cemetery and a church once existed on this site in the 1800's. A community of freed blacks lived in this area near the Menallen Friends. The Biglerville American Legion and the Butler Township Supervisors removed trees and bramble a few years ago and the Biglerville 4-H planted ground cover. A non profit organization based in Gettysburg is negotiating with a neighboring landowner for access to the site as it is currently landlocked. The church and cemetery lot is unowned, untaxed and has been abandoned for over 100 years. It was once the property of Edward Mathews who is believed to have started the church there which was consecrated in 1869.



Previous Page   Next Page



The Biglerville Historical and Preservation Society
and The National Apple Museum
154 West Hanover Street - P.O. Box 656
Biglerville, PA 17307-9442 - Telephone: 717-677-4556

Hosted by CTI Networks, Inc.