National Apple Museum
 barn
Biglerville, PA 17307
Home
Site Index
History
About Us
Museum Photo Tour
Adams County
Around Adams
    County

Fruit Crate Labels
Contact Us
Friends
Land Conservancy
   of Adams County

Fruit Growers
Fruit Grower
   Farm Markets

Apple Book
Horticulture
Research Station
Blossom Festival
Harvest Festival
Other Festivals
Other Fruit -
   Related Museums

Gateway Gettysburg
Lodging & Dining
All About Apples


 Pride of Adams County

Adams County
Historical Society


East Berlin Historical Preservation Society

Franklin County
Historical Society


Hanover Area
Historical Society


Hunterstown Historical Society

Littlestown Area
Historical Society


Ye Olde Sulphur Spa Historical Society

PA Museums and
Historical Societies


Early History
of the
Apple Industry
in Adams County




 A is for apple

Apple Facts

  • Washington has led the country in apple production since 1910.

  • Over 60% of Washington apples come from the Yakima Valley.

  • In 1913 H. M. Gilbert exported Yakima apples to the Orient, making the first study of Asian export potential.

  • Washington supplies half of America's fresh apple needs.

  • Washington apples are sold in more than forty countries.

  • 75% of the Washington apples that are produced are sold fresh. The other 25% are sent to processors to be canned, frozen, made into juice, juice sweeteners, and dehydrated products.

  • Tree Top Incorporated, one of the world's leading producers of apple juice and other processed fruit products, is owned and directed by the Washington growers themselves.

  • Apples are one of Washington's largest cash crops, with an estimated value of $899 million for fresh apples and $281 million for processed apple products in 1995.

  • More than 99 million boxes of apples were packed for the fresh market in 1996.

Washington's top ten export markets for the 1995-1996 crop year:
1. Mexico
2. Taiwan
3. Canada
4. Indonesia
5. Hong Kong
6. Thailand
7. Malaysia
8. Saudi Arabia
9. Dubai
10. Brazil

Back | Next




The Biglerville Historical and Preservation Society
and The National Apple Museum
154 West Hanover Street - P.O. Box 656
Biglerville, PA 17307-9442 - Telephone: 717-677-4556

Hosted by CTI Networks, Inc.