National Apple Museum
 barn
Biglerville, PA 17307
Home
Site Index
History
About Us
Museum Photo Tour
Adams County
Around Adams
    County

Fruit Crate Labels
Contact Us
Friends
Land Conservancy
   of Adams County

Fruit Growers
Fruit Grower
   Farm Markets

Apple Book
Horticulture
Research Station
Blossom Festival
Harvest Festival
Other Festivals
Other Fruit -
   Related Museums

Gateway Gettysburg
Lodging & Dining
All About Apples


 Pride of Adams County

Adams County
Historical Society


East Berlin Historical Preservation Society

Franklin County
Historical Society


Hanover Area
Historical Society


Hunterstown Historical Society

Littlestown Area
Historical Society


Ye Olde Sulphur Spa Historical Society

PA Museums and
Historical Societies


Early History
of the
Apple Industry
in Adams County




Penn State Fruit Research and Extension Center

P.O. Box 330
290 University Drive
Biglerville, PA 17307-0330
Phone: (717) 677- 6116
Fax: (717) 677 - 4112
Penn State Fruit Research and Extension Center Website

The Fruit Research and Extension Center in Biglerville is situated on 125 acres of fertile land in southcentral Pennsylvania in the heart of the major tree fruit production area of the state. The Center's total orchard and land holdings include an additional 55 acres approximately three miles west of Biglerville, near Arendtsville.

The southcentral and southeastern counties of Pennsylvania grow about 80 percent (23,966 acres) of the state's apple and pear acreage and approximately 84 percent (7,774 acres) of the stone fruits (peach, nectarine, plum, and cherry). Located in the area are two major processing companies that manufacture a variety of fruit products, such as apple sauce, pie filling, apple juice, and specialty fruit products. Commercial productions of apples, peaches, nectarines, cherries, pears, and plums are valued at approximately $84 million annually.

The Center is part of the research and extension division of Penn State's College of Agricultural Sciences. In addition to providing site-specific conditions for research, the facility increases opportunities for growers, consultants, consumers, and students to observe experiments and to consult with scientists. Extension specialists apply experimental findings to local conditions, and, in turn, make suggestions to scientists about new research needs.

The College established a field laboratory at Arendtsville in 1918 and appointed a plant pathologist and an entomologist to work on fruit problems in the region. Closed temporarily as an economic measure in 1936, the laboratory was reopened in 1937 because of the recognition that certain kinds of research could best be conducted in this fruit-producing region. Land and buildings purchased in Arendtsville were remodeled into offices and laboratories, and a greenhouse was added for studies of virus diseases. Three faculty members conducted the center's research programs.

Because of the increased need for fruit research into new cultural practices, pesticides, and virus diseases, the College of Agriculture purchased additional farmland at Biglerville in 1956 and added a plant virologist to its faculty in 1965. A grant from the Musselman Foundation, along with funds from state and federal sources, made possible the construction of new laboratory, office, greenhouse, and service facilities at Biglerville in 1971. The Musselman Building for agricultural research and education significantly expanded programs and services available to the statewide fruit industry. To support much needed research in postharvest physiology, a new state-of-the-art computerized controlled atmosphere storage and laboratory was built in 1989. Space needed for fruit handling, observations, and storage is provided by this 86' x 60' metal constructed pole building. Today, independent studies in entomology, plant pathology/nematology, pomology and postharvest physiology are conducted in orchards, laboratories, and buildings with specialized facilities and equipment, including:

  • growth chambers for plant pathogen and insect investigations
  • an insectary for raising and studying predatory mites and insects
  • an elutriator and other equipment for plant parasitic nematode extraction and identification
  • precision spray applicators
  • state-of-the-art pesticide storage and surplus pesticide mixture disposal.
  • three Bally®‚ prefabricated cold rooms equipped with steel barrels serving as individual storage chambers
  • Oxystat 2®‚ Model 930 made by David Bishop Instruments, Sussex, England to analyze and control up to 62 storage atmospheres.

Today, the research and extension facilities and orchards are effectively utilized by research and/or extension scientists in five permanent and two fixed-term positions assigned to the Departments of Entomology, Horticulture, and Plant Pathology. Permanent personnel support for the Center consists of seven technical service positions, two secretaries (1.6 positions) and one custodian (50% appointment). Approximately 15-20 additional part-time persons are employed annually to support research and extension projects.

The Center has a eighty-year history of developing scientific information for the benefit of the fruit industry throughout Pennsylvania, including improved methods of fruit production, better pest and disease control programs, and improved fruit storage methods.

 Penn State


© Pennsylvania State University 2002


The Biglerville Historical and Preservation Society
and The National Apple Museum
154 West Hanover Street - P.O. Box 656
Biglerville, PA 17307-9442 - Telephone: 717-677-4556

Hosted by CTI Networks, Inc.